Over the years I loved to add granola on my fruit, yogurt, or as a snack! I heard it was so healthy and a great alternative food for weight loss.
Once i became very serious on my weight loss journey I realized that this was not the case! Especially the boxed ones I was buying from the grocery store. One of the first things they teach you at weight watchers is how to read the nutritional information of the products you are buying. The calories, saturated fats, sugar, protein, fibre and sodium levels. I was, very disappointed to learn that most of the granola I was eating was very high in sugars, fat, sodium, and calories!
I knew that if i wanted to have some of this granola i could of course! As you can have anything you want in moderation when you are following weight watchers! Unfortunately the point value was, so high for such a small portion.
At that point i knew i needed to create a “Risafyd” version!” lol! In other words a healthy, low fat, no addddy sugar, high protein granola!
My recipe provides all of that and lots of health benefits. It’s high in fibre, protein, omega’s, antioxidants, vitamins, rich in complex carbohydrates, and is instrumental in weight loss.
For half a cup its only 4 smart points! My recipe is also versatile as you can add any nuts, seeds, craisins /raisins, and can make five different flavours. They include cinnamon, plain, peanut butter, chocolate or combine peanut butter and chocolate!
How to make Granola at Home
- 1 cup of oatmeal 8sp
- 1/3 cup swerve ( truvia/ stevia or splenda) 1/3 cup josephs maple syrup ( or any thick kind or honey would be 1/4 cup)
- 1 pinch of salt (1/4 tsp)1 tsp olive oil 1sp ( or use coconut oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbs cinnamon ( or what u like or cocoa or pb2 powder count the sp if u do )
- 1 tbs of slivered almonds ( toasted is delicious)
- 1sp coconut ( toasted ) 1sp
- 1 tbs sunflower seeds 1sp
- 1 tbs pumpkin seeds 1sp
- If you add 1/4 tsp of xantham gum it will make the syrup even thicker ( optional not necessary)
- In a large bowl add oatmeal then all other ingredients except for the chocolate chips!! Mix well.
- After baked i immediately add 1 tbs of sugar free chocolate chips ( low carb grocery store) or look at your local bulk or health food store!! You can add it before but they usually melt!!! Pinch and form balls after it’s cooled!!
- You end up with over 2 cups of granola!!! Mine is 4 sp for a half cup of granola.
- To make it chocolate flavored. Add 1 tbs of cocoa.
- To make it peanut butter tasting. Add 1 or 2 tbs of pb2 powder.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and bake for approximately 30 to 35 minutes on a parchment lined cookie sheet!!
- I love to double or triple this recipe to store in my freezer or give as gifts!
- Keeps well in a sealed container or baggie in the fridge or freezer!
Optional But More Points:
- If you want craisins or dates or any dried fruit always add after baking and add the smart points value!!
Super easy and delicious! Enjoy?❤
Featured Image Credit: mixit.cz