I don’t know about you but I love a delicious hamburger! It can be Barbequed, baked or pan fried it honestly doesn’t matter to me! I just love them! Lololo!!!
The only problem is most of the ones you buy in the stores, malls or restaurants include high calories, fats, and sodium levels.
As a lifetime weight watchers member, I have made healthy eating and making smart food choices part of my daily living. Sure i still eat out and sometimes purchase foods from stores or restaurants. However i prefer creating my own Risafyd recipes!! What i mean by that is i include low saturated fats, high protein, low or no sugars, and low sodium in my recipes and meals!
Does it take planning, shopping, and time to prepare? Yes, yes and yes but it’s necessary and important! We are all worth taking the time to be healthier and make better choices! So please remember this!
In this recipe i created i use quinoa, peppers, oats and chick peas! I love that these ingredients are scrumptious and packed with vitamins, minerals, they boost digestion, gluten free, and have slow releasing carbohydrates.
My recipes are also very easy without any fancy ingredients and don’t require a lot of time to prepare! This is helpful in our busy lives!
The other key to remember is you can make extra which i do! My motto is if you are taking the time to cook make extra to freeze! This way you can have quick and easy meals during those days you are tired or busy! So you see no excuses my friends! Lol!
By stirfrying veggies adds extra flavour and moisture to my burgers. And you can eat them on its own, any low point bun , pita, portabello mushroom or lettuce leaves for a low carb option ! Add your favourite veggies and condiments on top! Super delicious!
And Best of all they are only one smart point each! Incredible right?
Double, triple, this recipe and keep in a sealed container in the fridge up to five days only. Or keep them in your freeze up to three months!
This recipe is 5 SP in total for weight watchers freestyle!!
How to make Veggie Berger at Home
- 1 can of chickpeas ( 2 cups any brand)
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa 2sp
- 1/3 cup oat flour 3sp
- Veggies: red, yellow, orange peppers, shredded carrots, 5 mushrooms, green and red onions ( 3/4 cup cooked) you can use any veggie
- 1 tsp frank’s hot sauce or more
- 1 tsp garlic and onion powder or more ( you can use fresh garlic too)
- 1 tsp or more roasted. Red pepper seasoning
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tsp or a few sprinkles of liquid smoke ( optional)
- 1 tbs of chipolte sauce or seasoning
- Approximately 1 to 2 tbs water
Directions for Homemade Veggie Berger
- Chop all veggies set aside
- Boil quinoa ( i make 1 cup to 1.5 cups water. Allow to boil. Put lid on and simmer for 15 minutes)
- Allow to cool.
- In a sprayed skillet add onions then rest of veggies until lightly browned.
- Allow to cool In a food processor add quinoa, chickpeas, oat flour and all the seasonings!!!
- Add a bit of water to blend.
- Remove and put in a bowl.
- Fold in veggies.
- Form into large or small patties. I like to make them thin in order to cook well!.
- Reheat skillet and spray well.
- Add your favorite sugar free BBQ sauce if you want.
- Grill or BBQ approximately 8 minutes on each side on a medium heat or You can bake at 350 for 30 minutes but check your oven. You might want them crisper!!
- Eat right away or keep in fridge or freezer!!
- Eat with you favorite sauce, bun, lettuce wrap, veggies on top and condiments!!!!??
Place burgers on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer for an hour or so! They will harden and not stick together in a sealed container or baggie!
Featured Image courtesy : Splendidtable.org